Crashlands alpha trailer

Talk about Crashlands with your fellow players here! NOT for advice and help.
MAYBE. The difficulty is in finding a way to get paid for the work we create. We don't want to do free-to-play on PC, and would rather just have people purchase the game out-right (like how we did with Quadropus). However, the piracy rate is insane on PC (literally 99% of downloads for many games are pirated) and so we need a distribution platform that will limit this. We'll look at the non-steam platforms as well (Desura, etc).

I technically made it to the tundra but I didn't do everything in the bawg and only looked around the tundra. Looks great though

I believe that steam is of no use for the games with some visibility.
Just take a look at most of the cracks you can find, it replaces a steam ddl and an ini file and it's probably standardized.
So that may be efficient only if your game doesn't get known (so nobody will crack it). If you get a correct visibility, one of the cracking team will take some time to crack your game and you'll stay in the 99% piracy rate.

It is only my point of view and I wish you the best but I think it is better to warn you :smile:

And why not making à good old demo version ?

Yeah, we know we're going to get screwed either way. But with the Bscotch ID system, since that actively costs us money per user, we can at least verify that a player purchased the game on Steam/Desura before we let them login!

This way seems to be the better alternative indeed.
In fact forget it, I'll get the game on steam I think. It's just that I want to use it only when I'm "forced" to, and I'm a lone case I think. Plus since it's more likely that you won't release a box version, I won't regret it (I really love my box collection with lovely CDs/DVDs in it! )

Nah, I totally get it. Before becoming a developer I was always of the mindset, "But I'll happily pay for it and hate DRM!" So we'll always avoid intrusive DRM, but we also know that while most people say they'll pay for a game, in reality they are more likely to grab it for free if doing so is easy.

It's not all about DRM, but about Steam itself in fact (that's why I was talking about being a lone case).
Yup a lot a people will do so, but I was wondering about GoG... (entering theorical discussion) There's piracy on their releases of old games but is it really consequent?

I get your point with steam (and completely respect it) but then I have another question: don't you fear to be buried under a s**tload of random projects and finally not get much visibility?

It turns out that being buried on Steam is still gives way more exposure than a lot of other platforms! We will look into others, but the more time we spend porting and debugging for each platform the less time we have to make games, and so it is best for us to pick one platform per device and just go with that. Steam may not even pan out, for all that, since we have to get through the review/greenlight process first.

Yeah I know it and that's another problem. But hey, only time will let you know! :smile:

How would you guys describe Crashlands?
Don't Starve Meets Quadropus Rampage?

PreviousNext

Return to Crashlands General Discussion