Anybody got to space without the Butter Up upgrades?

Flop dat rocket all the way to SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!
The one thing that made me actually steer the rocket was changing it to reverse. Before that, I basically set it at a fixed angle and just controlled the engine, which was sloooow and wasted too much fuel. After steering, I crashed A LOT because of my eagerness but ended up starting to get the feel it. The hardest part is to learn how to brake, and sometimes how to stay still (and land when refueling, to let the phone go for a while).

Not buttering up helped me train the basic controls really hard before loosening up a bit afterwards with the extra protection (shield, worms, force field). Also helped when steering the escape pod. I have to say, though, that the upgrades made me reaaaaaaaaaly sloppy for some time. And after the measly sacrifice of 488 heroes (the numbers go up for awhile in the credits), 2 made to space!

And it's ok not to like it! I mean, I usually dislike games like this one (and Roid Rampage), but the controls sold me instantly. Now pick any hard high-score arcade that came after Flappy Bird: I'll just suck. In that game in particular, I think I got as far as 2 for half an hour and rage quit it.

Hey! Isn't the potato mode actually harder than flying with no upgrades? If it is so, then I know a few guys who have made it ;)

potato mode?

Yep. You can change your thrust to potato mode and then it's lower than with no upgrades.
But now, as I've checked it, it affects only thrust. You can still use other upgrades. So it's not necessarily easier than no upgrades at all.

I don't think potato has a cannon though.
Also I managed to reach +1000 meters with no upgrades (save for the magnet) and I don't have too much skill so I guess it'd be doable :)

Previous

Return to Flop Rocket