Crashlands Shenanigans

All about playing the game. Tips, tricks, and how to resolve problems. For fans of the game, do not treat this like a support system!
So I'm playing through a second time, this time on Insane, and decided to see what game systems I can have fun with along the way. You know, for Science! The best thing I've done so far is get my Jackagong about 25 seconds after landing in the Bawg for the first time. How? [EDIT: Spoiler alert: pure dumb luck, as it turns out, but read on if you want to hear my theory anyway.]

Time for a little story...

Due to Hewgo always seeming to destroy my hard earned hand-built geysers in my first play through, I realized that he seems to work by having a % chance to destroy a nearby resource, but with restrictions and caveats. Specifically, the % chance seems to increase with each resource you collect except that Hewgo won't attack potted plants (wish he were so kind when it came to geysers, but I digress) - so if I farmed enough potted plants then went to my geyser farm, the % chance to attack would have reached near-guaranteed proportions. So I learned eventually that I should go farm some wild smashblossoms after collecting all my potted plants so that Hewgo would blow his wad on something I didn't care about, then I could farm my rows of geysers in peace and safety. So how does that relate to the Jackagong?

Fishing seems to work the same way: When you start fishing then yeah, sure, you have some crazy low chance to get your first gong. It's still random so you might still get it early, but the more you fish I suspect the higher the % chance to get a gong drop up to the point where it's nearly guaranteed. This is all speculation based on my own observations, and there are anecdotes that contradict it but I dismiss those people as having done something wrong (gotten the drop and not noticed, for example). So I fished my little spacesuited butt off in the Savanna, got my gong weapon, and then continued to fish. And fish. And fish. And save up all my Fat Fish along the way. And each time the game would add a little bit to my % chance to get my next gong, but as with Hewgo and the potted plants, the game would see that it's impossible to get another gong from the Savanna and so not give it to me when it wanted to, and not reduce the % chance to get a gong. So that kept creeping upwards until I was sure to get one fairly quickly.

By the time I actually got to the Bawg, I'd built up a huge % chance to get a gong weapon but of course had no fishing pole. No worries, I had those 65 Fat Fish in my inventory, which I'd already discovered drop their goods based on the fishing loot table of the biome in which they're broken. So when I landed in the Bawg, I dropped all my Fat Fish on the ground and started beating on them ... and just a few Fat Fish into the process, out popped my Jackagong.

As a result, I one-shot the very first Vomma I came across and have about six times as much DPS as I should have at this point. And I'm having a blast!

Would I recommend this for anyone on their first play through? Absolutely not. Do I consider this cheating? No, more just a creative use of game mechanics as they exist. Does that mean it isn't cheating? No, that's just my opinion. Do I recommend this for other people who are playing through for the second time? Sure, if you enjoy fishing, why not? Mostly though it was fun for me because it was all based on gut feeling and theory and a little bit of faith. And I hope that when I make it to the Tundra I'll be able to add one more data point in support of this theory and do it all over again. :-)
Last edited by AlanFalcon on 22 Feb 2016 19:22, edited 2 times in total.

I don't think there's a variable rate for the % drop for Gong parts. It's possible that you got lucky as f- ;)

As for Hewgo destroying stuff, it is a semi random timer (random in a set range), so he will more or less always come regularly. However I'm suspecting that said timer is reset every time you exit the game.

As for "cheating", this falls under the "exploit" category. Even if not cheating stricto sensu, it's still the kind of thing you try to keep kinda private from time to time ;)

For sure if one of the Bros would prefer I bottle this up, I'll happily do so.

Nah, it's neither cheating nor an exploit, because you're totally wrong :D

You're close to right about Hewgo, but not about fishing. You just got lucky. I love that creativity though ;)

Haha, well I'm not sure if I'm glad I got lucky or not. I suppose I'll just enjoy it while it lasts!

I mean, using Fat Fish to give yourself a chance to get the Gong before you even have the pole is a clever exploit. So you did take advantage there :D

As a follow up, my 90 or so Fat Fish I brought to the Tundra definitely did not yield me a gong weapon this time around (and I'm still trying to fish one up - legitimately with a tier 3 fishing pole - with no luck).

It was fun while it lasted. Okay: technically, I think it was less fun in the end. I never had new weapons to look forward to at new workstations, and I felt a complete lack of progress for my first few hours in the Bawg since enemies remained consistently easy or difficult to kill instead of that normal sense of moving forward - it also made me feel stronger than I really was which lead to a lot of stupid deaths. But I did it in the name of Science!

Yep, turns out being overpowered is pretty dang boring.

wait till you get megagong at end game...You will feel like Matt Damon on Martian.

Psst... I think Adam has already used the megagong...

Next

Return to Crashlands Gameplay