Please - not again! Life ruining bug!

All about playing the game. Tips, tricks, and how to resolve problems. For fans of the game, do not treat this like a support system!
I'm playing Crashlands on an iphone 6S with ios 9.2.1

I posted here last week, what started with a map bug - my map was black but still showing locations and telepods I'd descovered, and ended with me losing almost all my game progress (I had an old local save file on my ipad so was able to recover some but not all progress). I was gutted but I threw myself back into the game and soon overtook my original progress. Today I had completed all missions up to the battle with Hewgodooko in space (which is too hard, so I'd given up and was just going round killing stuff and collecting essences to embiggen some of my pets for a while and take a break from getting smushed like a bug by Hewgo!!) when the game threw out an error when trying to load the map (which I stupidly didn't screenshot and am unable to reproduce now!) I exited the game and reopened it - lo and behold black map again - and not only that - my house is gone and everything in it! All my pets, my workstations the whole lot is gone (edit - I checked my inventory my pets are there but all my workstations - my potted plants and walls floors etc have gone). I've taken a screenshot of what the black map looks like and I don't know what to do now! Please help - and if this is unfixable then I think that's game over for crashlands and me. I no longer have the energy or the desire for doing this all over again!!

The only thing I have tried so far to fix it is the only fix I had last time. I loaded crashlands on my ipad mini and it loads fine there!! The map isn't black and my house etc are intact. So I synced that save to the cloud, then tried reloading the game on my phone - no dice! Black map. I don't understand this! It's infuriating! :(

I also installed the game on my sons ipad mini 2. The issue persists - so it looks like even if I delete and re-install the game on my iphone, I'm still going to have this issue.

This is what the black map looks like in case that helps:
http://postimg.org/image/bvajx8fe5

Further edit: My house has now disappeared on my ipad mini too! But the map is still not black on there :(
Last edited by blissfully_me on 24 Feb 2016 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

Okay, this one is definitely one for @bscotchseth and @bscotchAdam

What I suggest you do is back up your WORKING save to your local device (preferably on the device it actually works on) just so that you don't lose anything. Sync a broken copy of the game to the cloud for Adam to nab for Seth to look over. I'm sure they can figure out either a way to unbork it, or to make sure that your fixed copy of the game over-writes the broken copy.

Could you please tell us the device it was broken on in your first paragraph, including model of your device and OS (including version) and anything else that you think might have bearing on the problem; ie do you have any programs that run in the background or that modify or interfere with the way the device works/feels/looks (ie a custom desktop like Apex or rooted device if it's mobile.)

Post as much information as you can/feel comfortable letting us know about, even if it might seem insignificant to you it might help the Devs find the cause of the problem and work out how to prevent it in the future.

I also suggest you fill in the bug report so the Devs get instantly notified. They'll respond to requests/bug reports here: https://id.bscotch.net/contact/ before anywhere else. You can just leave them a link to this thread with more detail if you need to, but that will add it to the list of things to look at right away.

Thanks, I've added my device info and I filled out a bug report too. The save file that *was* working isn't any longer. Although the map isn't black on there my house etc have still all gone. The game isn't playable on that device as it's an ipad mini 1 and not compatible so not much I can do there with it really. Just have to leave my save file as is and hope something can be salvaged. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

WHEW! Going to pull down this save and see what the dickens is happening.

Thank you! I am literally praying here that this is salvagable. I started a new game but my heart isn't in it, especially knowing this could just happen again.

You have had some spectacularly bad luck with this game. Sorry :(

I know right! I don't like the sound of that... It sounds... Bad. :cry:
Can it be fixed?

Seth's working on it. What we know is that your Tundra data completely evaporated (the same general kind of problem you had last time, but with a different part of the data). Stuff that is independent of biome (your inventory, quest progress, locations of outposts, etc) is still intact, as is the data for the other two biomes. But anything that is dependent on the biome (anything you placed out in the world, except pets) is gone. Seth is trying to figure out if there is some way to reset the Tundra data so that it can begin to save properly again, though I doubt you'll be able to recover the items :(

Am I the only person this has happened to? (Just out of interest). Many thanks again for your time! I feel so bad putting you guys to work on this again, but I spend so much time on Crashlands I'm kinda lost without it... If I get to keep my quest progress that's good, I can make/find the items I'll lose again (presuming I won't lose the schematics? Or can find the schematics again) but I am super paranoid this will just keep happening now...

This sort of thing has happened very rarely to people, prior to the current version of the game. As far as I know it hasn't been happening to people on the updated version (except you, I guess!). The next update (currently in testing via Testflight) has a ton of mechanisms to change this from supposedly impossible to actually impossible.

You definitely have no reason to be sorry!

Next

Return to Crashlands Gameplay