Fishing for gongs

All about playing the game. Tips, tricks, and how to resolve problems. For fans of the game, do not treat this like a support system!
Need a few clarifications on how fishing for gongs work. I've got the gongs from bawg and tundra. The one in savannah is becoming very frustrating. Currently fished at least 1000 times.

- Does map display icon (like gravestone or recipe) if it's fished out and I didn't pick it up?
- Does it disappear if I don't pick it up for X amount of time? If it does, is it able to be fished out again?
- Is the RNG rolled for each item fished out, or each time I fish? In other words will it improve chances if I catch more stuff per attempt?
- Is the chance affected by the nasty lure accessory?
- Is the chance affected by the Gulanti pet, even though it's not a legendary, recipe or egg?
- Is it obtainable through the fishing bomb?
- Does day/night matter?

Alright so I am just going to copy and paste your questions down below and leave my answers in yellow:

1) Does map display icon (like gravestone or recipe) if it's fished out and I didn't pick it up?
    - To my knowledge that's a no, but I believe that it gets sucked into your inventory automatically like many other items preventing that problem in the first place.

2) Does it disappear if I don't pick it up for X amount of time? If it does, is it able to be fished out again?
    - Theoretically if you have horrible luck you can spend your entire life trying to get one and never get one as there is no number of tries. To answer the second part it is possible to get multiple of each gong except the Megagong

3) Is the RNG rolled for each item fished out, or each time I fish? In other words will it improve chances if I catch more stuff per attempt?
    - Nope! Unless you have a pet or something that increases your odds every item you pull up has a 1/1000 chance of getting the Gong (I think that's how that works at least...)

4) Is the chance affected by the nasty lure accessory?
    - Yes!

5) Is the chance affected by the Gulanti pet, even though it's not a legendary, recipe or egg?
    - Yup, a full size one takes your chances down from 1/1000 to 1/500!

6) Is it obtainable through the fishing bomb?
    - Hell yeah it its. 3x3 pattern of fishing holes + a bomb in the middle = a very effective farm.

7) Does day/night matter?
    - Nope! The gongs don't discriminate based on time of day.

Confused about this part:

3) Is the RNG rolled for each item fished out, or each time I fish? In other words will it improve chances if I catch more stuff per attempt?
- Nope! Unless you have a pet or something that increases your odds every item you pull up has a 1/1000 chance of getting the Gong (I think that's how that works at least...)

You say no but the explanation pretty much says "yes". So is the RNG rolled for each fishing attempt or each item fished? If it's each fishing attempt there's no point waiting for the biggest catch, you can simply pull immediately to save time?

I am not sure is my best answer. I am 99% sure that it is per item. Size never matters no matter what you are fishing. What matters is how many you get. Each one has a 1/1000 chance of being the item. So you want to go for the lot of the items.

Per item!

Cool got it right.

1/500 with a full-sized gulanti, eh?
I had two gongs after getting 4000 fish with my epic gulanti. If I have my Poisson distribution right, the odds of that scenario (or worse) is 1.4%. Hope your luck is better than mine!

1) Does map display icon (like gravestone or recipe) if it's fished out and I didn't pick it up?

2) Does it disappear if I don't pick it up for X amount of time? If it does, is it able to be fished out again?

Pretty sure there's no icon and it just sits there forever until you pick it up. It's hard to walk away from though - the camera anchors itself between you and the gong making it very obvious when it drops. Never tested what would happen if you teleport away from it though.

@bscotchAdam Can you confirm that the Fishing Shrine and Nasty Lure affect how many fish pop out when you use a bomb?

Also, you can fish a couple times in a fishing hole without "using it up" (usually) - but a bomb always makes it go on cooldown. Do you end up with more total fish if you manually fish in a fishing hole once or twice before you bomb it, or does the bomb take that all that into account somehow?

i wish i could fish,i havent found/crafted pole yet.

Why do I see some Megagongs with 39k damage while others are 49k damage? Why make the rarest item in the game with this much variance in stats, how is that fair? People can spend days, weeks or even months fishing for this damn thing then they get trolled with a defective one?? The variance in the bonus lines is already kind of troll-y (some people end up with insanely good stats like +move while others end up with completely useless ones like +burn chance), but a whopping 20% variance in damage output??

I honestly feel farming for uniques in Diablo was easier than this. At least it was FUN farming cause you actually get to, you know, kill things? Unlike in this game, the 4 rarest item in the game ALL REQUIRE..... FISHING, the most boring thing you could do in this game. I wouldn't be nearly as disappointed if they made it as a rare drop from enemies.

Next

Return to Crashlands Gameplay