The MegaGong problem!

All about Questing. Tips, tricks, and how to resolve problems. Likely contains spoilers. For fans of the game, do not treat this like a support system!
If drop is astronomically low for these --gong thingies from fishing, & I finished first 2 biomes fishing every spot multiple times (but mostly concentrating on quests and fighting and crafting) and no megagong or any -gong so far... then I am happy to finish game without them. In fact, THANK YOU guys, for deciding to NOT mandate these mythical -gong rare drops to finish. I will not buy a game or at least not finish it, if a very rare drop is needed to finish... BS scores another rpg industry landmark by making the -gong rare drop an optional aspect. I like fishing but only in moderation. Normally I am a moderately thorough completionist - take my time and enjoy doing & seeing everything, except extreme grinding, no OCD. To each their own.

So I know that the drop rate is a common discussion of the Megagong and as it's been said it's not something that is planned to be changed sadly. If it is common how can it be MEGA. That's like handing out laser shooting cats man. If only a few people have them it's amazing, rare, and super freaking AWESOME. But if everyone has one then they're just meh, now aren't they? Increasing the drop rate would really dilute the "Wow" factor of getting the gong.

Kinda weird, I found the first gong by accident in a random fishing hole running through the Savannah. The second popped up in the Bawg without expecting it after just a few lines..
Wasn't until I got to the Tundra I realised their significance. Then I had to use about 10 fishing magnets with an Epic Gulanti to get the third one.

I agree with someone else who posted getting the depressurized larvae to complete the quest/assemble the lure etc..was a harder task. Took ages...

I'm usually not that lucky so I'm baffled...For me it was like 1 in 100 rather than thousand.

Well 1/1000 means it could take seconds or hours to get one.

Well thats pointing out the obvious, it's the fact that I got all 3 with little to no effort (like that other guy) that's striking. Hooray for beginners luck.

"If it is common how can it be MEGA" - Jordan the Best Mod Ever

Easily - highest damage output. Depends on one's point of view.
Last edited by Mr.Jpesky on 09 Jun 2016 18:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Hey! Use that lovely edit button next time, it's feeling a bit neglected :(

Well yeah if you're swinging the dang thing as a weapon! Flux is a monster, she takes poor creatures and uses them to FIGHT OTHER CREATURES. SHE'S A PSYCHO. The Megagong is a majestic creature called mega for it's size, grace, and rarity! Not one did anyone think "Hey... Jeff.. You see that fish over there? I'm going to catch it and beat poor innocent creatures with it." So yeah, I think it's called mega due to it's AWESOMENESS.

Tips - work on epuc gulanti, make fish food, wait for gongs quest. Secondarily, place signs for when rarer resources are found so you can go back for more later.

Rave: ... Megagong rocks even tho you can beat bosses without it, thank goodness. Since people said its a super lo drop rate I figured I'd play without it or leave game unfinished if necessary, becuz my life is extremely frustrating now, so I do not need excessive grinding or frustration in games... some, but no insane mode for me, thankyou. I do like gathering, but the bawg & tundra fish food needed rare materials (pain in butt!). I was fishing for stuff to make other things with, didnt expect any gongs due to rare drop rate! . But to get rare needed ventsleepers (too rare) and such, I farmed ONE tundra pond (homestead) and ONE bawg pond (Caarta's, she knows the good places and deserves extra fish becuz I like her). I farmed one pond only in those biomes becuz their fish food was too way much of a pain, needing rare materials. Savannah's fish food easy, so farmed 2-3 savannah ponds. Each farmed pond, placed about 12 or 16 food peices. After a little while (after gong quest and after gulanti made epic), I got each -gong without expecting it (expected no gong till too many tries). Reiterate: - & these only AFTER receiving the gongs quest (not lots of fishing I did before while going to & fro), and AFTER getting epic Gulanti- the gulanti's buff is that it raises resource drop stats. When I went by a pond or at home would fish or bomb it while routinely questing or farming other stuff. Didnt just fish for hours in this game, thats just not fun for me (in real life, part of fishings fun is soaking up the sun and vista and peace, besides hoping for a big bass or flounder). Farming hunting gathering IS fun when alternated in the game. Anyway, I set the conditions but expected nothing. Was happily surprised by each gong when they showed up, and nice weapons too. Finally there was the beautiful silvery spikey megagong standing on its tail in front of my tundra house after I didnt notice it at first due to bombing the smashblossom patch routinely after the fishfarm. Grandmammy just looked at it with a smile. It was great for beating the poor E.M.G system. So, BS, How the hey does Flux pull the the spikey megagong out and wield the alarming thing without sticking herself? Gawd I sure love that Infinisuit, endless invisible pockets, goodlooking and no paper cuts. Please put one in the next game!

1. use fishing shrines, there are yellow shrines on the map that make more fish appear when you fish while its activated
2. there is a trinket you unlock the recipe for after beating the savana that when equipted also gives more fish at a time
3. fish food, to make fishing holes
4. have a Gulanti pet their player buff makes more fish appear at once also.

resqcreeper2 wrote:1. use fishing shrines, there are yellow shrines on the map that make more fish appear when you fish while its activated
2. there is a trinket you unlock the recipe for after beating the savana that when equipted also gives more fish at a time
3. fish food, to make fishing holes
4. have a Gulanti pet their player buff makes more fish appear at once also.

Additional notes to this.
3. Put them near your base in grids of 9 (3x3). You can use exploding bobbers to fish the grid in one click.

4. I don't think the Gulanti makes more appear, it just makes the chance of rare drops higher. That being said, this is still very good advice.

i beat the game in a little over 24 hours. i wasnt aware of the megagong quest until after i had beaten hewey. i had fished the bongadong before i beat him or even activated the quest. i laughed when i recognized it from quadropus. anyhow, to the point, IVE BEEN FISHING FOR OVER 48 HOURS TOTAL AFTER ACTIVATING THE QUEST AND HAVENT GOT EITHER OF THE OTHER FISH. i got the gulanti to epic and stuff but i just CANT seem to find either of the other epic fish and its really freaking bothering me. anyone know why i seem to be cursed with this bulls*** luck?

PreviousNext

Return to Crashlands Quests